Un autre bon livre



The Seine- The River that made Paris. (2019. Elaine Sciolino)

The author tracks her wanderings exploring the river from its source to the sea weaving in history, geology, and the people, lore and rythym of the river. Many new bits of information of off-the-beaten-track places as well as new things in Paris (Fluctuart musee, LeSeine musicale-ile Seguin, and of course Notre Dame) suggesting a trip would be in order.☺ There are a number of interesting pictures throughout. 

Sciolino lives in Paris and was a NY Times correspondent/bureau chief. She had an uncanny ability to see ancient artifacts and stored museum pieces gaining access to stuff ordinary folks would never know or see.  Of course, it is fun to see Paris and its familiar environs from another's eyes. And I think I finally learned the left bank from the right now. 

I am going to put the upper Seine (Troyes and south) on my list of areas to see and bike. (And like the author, I am proud to say I swam the Seine...at Melun and Moret sur Loing....very brisk but surprisingly clear with a strong current). Something you might want to "put on your list" after reading her book!

Let me know if you find it intriguing as well.

Have a very happy new year.
Mary Wingfield

Comments