Falaise Pass By Fixture creates angst amongst FOGBEE's



   The controversial photograph shown above seems to seems to have hit the FOGBEE's hard.


Bruce,
Yep, my thoughts exactly.  We long ago “handed off the baton.” Don’t want it back.
I miss Ed and appreciate the photos from you and Phil.
I have extensive copies of the FOGBEE and my Google Drives.
I also backed up our very old YouTube and Comcast videos.
However, I have nothing from 2006 and 2007 when FOGBEES were using SnapFish.
Tom


Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 12:50 PM

I am in awe of the of the amount and quality of the Montreal Bicycle Club's trips and documentation. Tom has an excellent point. When the original Fogbees were young and frisky we were nearly as prolific. As we aged when not every ride was new we saw ever less need to document.  Modern cell phones take better pictures than any of my point and shoot cameras but cell phones are a pain to use.  Just as the best bike is the one you are riding, the best camera is the one you are using. Time for us to start carrying small dedicated cameras again.

Most of the younger riders are more concerned with average mile per hour pace than the number of smiles per mile. Documentation is a photo of one's cycle computer or gps at the end of the ride. No need to even do that. Just post the Strava record.
Bah! Humbug!

Tom,
If you give me dates I can look for my  pictures of various rides. Not every picture was uploaded. I've been exclusively digital since 2003 so all my early Fogbee images should be on my computer.  Very likely the same for Ed Thomas.

Bruce
On 10/6/19 11:02 AM, Tom wrote:
DTI,
The excellent  “minutes” of the Montreal Bike Club remind me of a long lost FOGBEE practice.
Fourteen years ago, when we founded the club, most of the new members took and shared photos.
We used to joke about how some were so good they could snap a good memory, behind them and over their shoulder as they rode along. 

We didn’t have internet sharing sites, but everyone uploaded to Snapfish.
I could pull off the best and put them on a FOGBEE Homestead website that also was once free.
At that time, nearly everything was film-based and one had to ask for a CD when the film was developed.

Now, Snapfish and Homestead are gone, as are all their photos.  We saved some to CD’s and DVD’s,
But many of those are also long gone.  We have replaced SnapFish with Shutterfly (which is much better) and
I have replaced Homestead with Google Blogspot (which is also better).  However, they are only better if used.

My December magazine article was about some of the History Rides the FOGBEES once organized,
such as the Bell Witch Ride.  Unfortunately, the repository for many of those memories was on these old websites.
I found a few photos for the article on Shutterfly, but that search had me thinking about what we had lost.

Now, all photos are on cell-phone and almost no FOGBEE takes and shares them anymore, other than Bruce, Phil, and me.
The few snapshots that are taken usually just find their way to FACEBOOK.  Some of these I steal and save.
But, since I don’t do FACEBOOK other than the ride-sites, not many get archived.
That loss is even greater than Snapfish (not to mention that I am nearly out of source material for my articles.)

I can hypothesize as to the reasons for “what was.” The MBC is a lot like the original FOGBEEs – older, social, and tour-oriented.  Now, with the younger FOGBEE demographics, interests have changed.  The “elders” still use their cameras, but their numbers and ride frequency has dramatically diminished.

The MBC reminds me of our long passed practice.  The quality of their images is great, as will be the memories that they are recording.

Tom
 
Sent: Saturday, October 5, 2019 6:16 PM

Tom & all,
The September 28 report closes the September Fixtures on a sensai level the younger generation of cyclists should aspire to attain.  Namely, when one has attained a certain level of maturity after decades of pedaling a certain total number of vĂ©lo-kilometers in all weather conditions and one's personhood is firmly established, one may on occasion detour from the posted route to the nearest coffee shop to sit out the rain.  Woe to the young grasshopper who smirks.
DTI



Sent:
Thu, 3 Oct 2019 15:22:50 -0400

Wheelmen & Wheelwomen

     Minutes for the latest Fixture, the Falaise By Pass have been published in the  September Minutes

    Although A.T. Lane & Queen Victoria are away in Europe until the 11 Oct, fixture postings have been made by Louis Rubenstein and G.T Bishop.  An Assault on Pont Sam du Cham (Sat Oct 5) as well as the Multi Modal Fall Colours Adventure (Wed Oct 9)  were made by Louis and G.T. respectively.
   Anyone else who wishes to post an event on the calendar may do so by using the Submit button.
   Please hit the RSVP button if you plan to attend any of these two Fixture events by Louis or G.T.

A.T. Lane aka Malcolm McRae

Comments