Fogbee Book Report: Great Bicycle Experiment, The Army's Historic Black Bicycle Corps, 1896-97


The Fogbee's sent me the following info which I decided to post.

"Attached are scans of a newspaper illustration about the 25th Infantry Black Bicycle Corps, 1896-97 kindly sent by my sister Jane in Virginia. I gather it was an investigation into the usefulness of the early safety bicycle for military purposes.  One of the illustrations says for more info read "The Great Bicycle Experiment-The Army's Historic Black Bicycle Corps".  Googling the title I found Amazon lists the book for sale, and includes a "Look inside" preview feature.  I've added it to my 'books to buy' list; I am intrigued to learn how an infantryman mounted on a bicycle was going to have an advantage over his horse-mounted Indian foe of the day, esp in the mountainous terrain illustrated in one of the attached illustrations."


https://www.historynet.com/the-buffalo-soldiers-who-rode-bikes.htm

And the Military's interest in bicycles continues....

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/how-the-military-has-influenced-mountain-bike-design-and-usage-throughout-history/



Comments